Parallelize commandment discovery work?

Developer
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:44 AM

I think I have asked this before on your blog, but I'm wondering if you'd be open to having others join you in the work here (since that is, after all, a large part of the reason for e.g. CodePlex :-)). I, for one, would rather like to contribute some commandment classes to the work.

Obviously, this creates some minor problems of coordination, and some slightly bigger problems of uniformity of vision: how to ensure that commandments are treated similarly by all involved? Though really, it might be good to have several somewhat divergent views, to prevent a monoculture....

Anyway, I'm really glad the project is on CodePlex now, and I'd like to help.

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Hi Nathan,

Glad to see interest in this project. Contributions are welcome.

Some notes for contributors:

• Verse numberings are taken from the Christian bible. They sometimes vary slightly from the Jewish verse numberings. (e.g. Deut 13:1 in the Hebrew bible is actually Deut. 12:32 in the Christian bible. Use the latter for ease of lookup on the ubiquitous Christian bible sites like biblegateway.com)
  • Make your own summary. Make it short, like a newspaper headline.
  • Summaries often follow the class name, e.g. NoAdultery.cs will have the summary "No adultery."
  • Negative commandments ("You shall not XYZ") should have class names like "NoXyz".
  • Use the NIV translation.
  • Use Maimonides' commandment listing for the commandment.Number property. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments#Maimonides.27_list

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Hey again, Nathan.

I've made you a developer on this project. You should have commit privs should you decide to contribute.

Developer
Sep 25, 2009 at 6:57 AM
Edited Sep 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Judah,

Thanks! I hope to be able to add a commandment every week or so.

By the way, how are we planning to coordinate who takes which commandments? ;-)

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

First come first serve? Fridays I'll check out the source code and add 5 new commandments, then commit back. If your commandment isn't committed on Friday, I'll assume it's safe for me to map. We'll just do our best not to step on each other's toes.

Developer
Sep 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Ah, OK, I guess that should work for now. Yeah, I'll probably be working on Saturdays mostly.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Nathan, I see you're now contributing. Awesome! Thanks, man!